Stamps, Covers and Postal History

Milwaukee Philatelic Society History

Organized November 5, 1899

  

The Milwaukee Philatelic Society, Inc. (MPS) is one of the oldest stamp collecting organizations in the nation. The MPS was organized with four charter members on November 5, 1899 and four more members joined later in that same year. Early meetings were held at the members’ homes or in the Trustee's Room of the Milwaukee Public Museum.


From those humble beginnings the club grew, so that in 1979 it had a membership of 212. As with most philatelic organizations today the membership is somewhat less than that, but the club offers all of the benefits of the past as well as additional newly developed benefits. The club sponsors MILCOPEX, an American Philatelic Society (APS) World Series of Philately (WSP) stamp show each September. The club also sponsors STAMPFEST, an annual spring show held on the first full weekend in March.


The club meets at 7:00 P.M. on the first Tuesday of the month in the Firefly Room at the Wauwatosa Public Library located at the intersection of North 76th Street & West North Avenue in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.


The club is a 501(c)3 organizations and any donation to the club is tax deductible to the full extent of the law.


The photo depicts the "new" Milwaukee post office that opened in 1901. This building still stands in Milwaukee as the United States Federal Courthouse, though the post office moved out of this building in the 1960's.

image13